Monday, April 6, 2009

Friends...

Being pretty new to this "blog thing" where you basically keep a journal online and write your thoughts and feelings is kind of strange to me. I'm used to keeping a journal of various sorts but these are usually my thoughts and stuff the Lord says to me personally. What I'm not used to is putting these thoughts out into cyber space for the world to see. Well I am pretty confident the world is not reading my blog but you know what I mean. I'm amazed at how quickly time passes between my last entry and posting a new one. Seems like yesterday I put one on the internet.

But that's where friends come in since one of my closest friends in the world slams me tonight with a reminder to update my blog. True friends in our lives are those who have the courage to hold us accountable. Most people choose friends selfishly to stroke their egos and tell them what they want to hear. A wise person will choose friends that challenge them, hold them accountable and who have the courage to tell them the truth. I've watched friends come to the aid people who have made bad choices; but their aid is not in an effort to speak truth to them, but in a way that removes and minimizes their poor choices.

I'm constantly amazed at the cultural fad on TV called "American Idol" where these horrible singers are emotional basket cases after being told quite clearly they cannot sing worth a lick. They screech like cats in pain and walk out of the audition room blubbering or cursing saying the judges don't know what they are talking about. I've heard more than one say: "I just don't understand, everyone always tells me I'm a great singer." Their family is usually there hugging on them and affirming their ability to "sing". Well that's a family's job I suppose, but I'm thinking "doesn't anyone love this person enough to tell them the truth?"

Well the Scriptures speak of course to this very issue in
Proverbs 27:6 "Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." I am blessed to have several of these friends in my life, friends who love me enough to tell me the truth even when it hurts. I tell them the truth too and our relationship is solid because we don't wear our feelings on our sleeves and take offense when our friend wounds us with the truth or holds us accountable. Ask the Lord to give you friends like that, and ask the Lord to help you be a friend like that. Ask the Lord to help you quit being a "friend" who is not a friend, but an enabler. So thank you my friend, for holding me accountable. I love you.
From my little corner to yours...

No comments:

Post a Comment