Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Refreshment(s)....

Long and intense days of work, coming home in a rush to get kids off to practice, butting heads with them on some major issues and poor choices they are making, standing up and being a dad or mom in the face of your kids with what you know is right instead of doing what’s easy; but the temptation to do what’s easy is overwhelming because you are exhausted.  The tense atmosphere at home combined with deadlines and pressure at work can really weigh you down. Getting the kids to finish homework, get their teeth brushed and get them into bed. Trying to catch your checkbook up in the late hours after you get kids in bed, frustration because you transpose some numbers and it takes longer to balance the checkbook than pay your bills. Collapsing into bed around midnight for a fitful night of sleep knowing you’ve got an equally long day beginning no later than 6 a.m. the next day; and the thought: “This is only Monday and I have a full week of this?” Can I get a witness? Can anyone relate to what I’m talking about?

The next morning, I walk outside to get the kids off to school. There is a stiff cool breeze out of the north and you know instantly a cool front pushed through last night as goose bumps appear because your shorts and t-shirt are not much protection from that incredibly wonderful breeze; and you don’t care because it feels so refreshing. Bright sun, clear skies, low humidity and you think: “Wow, what a gorgeous day.”  I get them off to school, rush to  finish getting dressed, out the door, climb on my motorcycle and the breeze gets even cooler as I’m tooling down the road to work with that breeze snaking up my sleeves chilling my torso; again I don’t care because it feels so awesome.

Then your quiet time reading from yesterday comes to mind from Lamentations 3:22-24: “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘The Lord is my portion’ says my soul, ‘therefore I hope in Him!’” I begin to worship the Lord in my spirit riding that motorcycle and all that pressure and stress from the previous day melts into oblivion as I  repent for trying to “do life” on my own strength and in my own power and remembering my hope is in the Lord. That’s why I’m drawn in the morning to God’s word like a desert wanderer to a refreshing oasis when he’s parched and dying of thirst. The rigors of life and service are intense, there is only one place for me to find strength, encouragement and the desire to serve the Lord again today, in that marvelous oasis of God’s word, communing at the feet of my Savior. Thank you Lord for refreshing me today with that cool breeze. Lord, thank you for giving me strength in the inner man today. Thank you for reminding me that it is by your mercy life doesn’t consume me and melt me into a useless pile of dribble. Thank you for reminding me I have an opportunity today to make a difference in my kids lives, my wife’s life and in someone else’s life today. Thank you for refreshing my little corner of the world.

If you are weary and need some refreshment, maybe it’s because you haven’t been to that oasis of the Word of God, you haven’t come to the Lord Jesus, the living water, you haven’t been allowing Him to splash His faithful mercy all over you. There isn’t anyone or anything who can refresh your soul like Jesus. The world’s “refreshment” is nothing but a mirage, a cruel trick of Satan which leads to deeper discouragement and defeat. The Lord’s oasis is waiting for you; what are you waiting for?  Just a thought, from my little corner of the world to yours…

Ralph Green

Senior Pastor, Calvary Baptist Church

www.calvarybelair.com

Posted via email from Pastor Ralph

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Pastor Ralph! Love this post! I can feel the cool breeze when I read it and know how refreshing that is....just like our Precious Jesus. You are so right!! The earthly refreshments are only a mirage...but our Lord and Saviour----drinking from a well that never dries up. Thank you for reminding me of that. I knew that in my heart...but stress covers it up sometimes :) You have to pardon me now...I'm going to go play in the fountain with Jesus and allow Him to splash His Mercy and Refreshment on me!

    Give your family my love....Wendy
    We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete