Saturday, January 10, 2009

Celebrating the Ravens Win

Baltimore what? Oh that's right the Ravens. Their baseball team is the Orioles. What is it with the "bird" name teams? I guess the Baltimore pro sports teams are for the birds. All day long today in running my errands that I had to do, I saw cars proudly displaying their Ravens flags. Today the Ravens played the Tennessee Titans in the 2nd round of the AFC playoffs and this town is a buzz with excitement. My son Garrett got invited to a new friend's house for a Ravens playoff party. The thought of 11 year old Garrett enjoying a football game from start to finish is downright prepostrous since he can't sit still for anything. Yet he did and apparently had a ball.
For the first time since I don't know when, I actually sat down and watched a pro football game from start to finish. I have to learn about this team everyone is so fired up about here. In watching this game, I learned that the Ravens are a tough, gritty team that refuse to quit. At the end of the day, they won and defeated one of the best teams in football. So how bout them Ravens! Gives me something to start discussions with my new friends here in Maryland.
In watching this game, a spiritual truth comes to mind for believers who are disciples of Jesus Christ. The battle is hard, but Jesus promised us that if we endure to the end, we will be saved (Matt. 10:22). While the outcome of the Ravens/Titans game was in doubt until the final seconds; for Christians, victory is secure, not because of us, but because of what Christ did on the cross and by His resurrection. Jesus told his disciples in John 16:33 "...In the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." So child of God, hang in there, persevere in your faith in Christ, endure, we win in the end. In the mean time, go Ravens:)

No comments:

Post a Comment